Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Ironman Access hubbub

So. $1000. I've been thinking about this since I heard the news of Ironman's new Ironman Access program this afternoon. I thought I'd attempt to articulate my thoughts on it from the person NOT registering for the race. I'm trying to temper my comments because I don't want to give the impression that I begrudge Mr. TheyTri what he needs to be a successful athlete. BUT. BUT. BUT.  I'm annoyed. Triathlon is goddamn expensive enough without an extra $1000 to assure a spot in a race.
I'm so irritated by this and I'm not even the one racing. I realize no one is putting a gun to our heads and forcing us to participate in this "program." But it tilts the table in a terrible way. I'm especially irritated that it allows people with deep pockets to jump the line ahead of volunteers.
We, the family and friends of triathletes, already pay a lot. We pay in loads of laundry. We pay in over-priced crappy hotel rooms. We pay in portajohns. We pay in $10 bumper stickers. We pay in massages and applications of BioFreeze. We pay in the delightful pre-taper week of cranky, crabby and overtrained. We pay in the "together" time lost while our tireless, dedicated athletes go on 6-hour training rides and 2-hour runs on our weekends.
And now, this. This obnoxious money grab. It's a slap and it's very, very disappointing.

1 comment:

TheMonkeyest said...

Well said Mrs. TheyTri. Well said.