Saturday, July 17, 2010

New Manifesto on Running

I've signed up for the Disney Half Marathon in January along with a bunch of friends. Why did I do this? Glad you asked. I wish I had a reasonable answer. The fact is I really, really hate running. I do get some sense of accomplishment when I'm done, yes, but I pretty much loathe every second before crossing a finish line.
So, why then. If I know one thing about myself it's that I tend to opt for the path of least resistance. If I can find an excuse to not do something I don't want to do I'll gladly take it. This unfortunate personality trait has snapped into pretty sharp focus being married to an Ironman triathlete and being surrounded by other triathletes so often. I see what they all do to train and what goals they have. Being psyched for a "Charmed" marathon on TNT just isn't the same thing. I'd call it peer pressure but that's not quite accurate, no one has ever pressured me to do a race, least of all Mr. TheyTri. So, what is it? Inspiration? Perhaps. Envy? I would like to be as fit as the rest of them and holding out for the miracle pill seems to be a fool's bet.
So, I sign up for these races to set a goal for myself. Fear, as Mr. TheyTri says, is a huge motivator. I don't want to fail myself or the people I've signed up with. And by "Fail" I don't mean that if I don't finish in under 2 hours I'm going to be devastated. By "Fail" I mean "give up." I, frankly, couldn't give a flying you-know-what how long it takes me to cross the finish line. Crossing the start line is a win for me. Having a goal and working for it is a win for ME. That may not be a win for others but that's not my business.
So, my new manifesto, one I've put on my RoadID*, is "QUIT WHINING." This race isn't going to run itself. I have to go do the work. I have to push the "I don't want to" "The couch is so comfy" "I'm tired" "It's hot" out of my brain and just go. 10 minutes or an hour. Run straight through or Run-walk. Doesn't matter...just go.


*If you don't already have a RoadID, seriously, what the hell is the matter with you? Go. Now.

2 comments:

HolisticGuru said...

Did you somehow make the Leave Your Comment message say "Be NICE or your comment will be Toast"? Hahaha!

Mrs. TheyTri,

I want to support you in any way possible for your race. Anything you need, please ask. And after IM and when I'm back on the road myself, I'd love to log some of your running (or even crosstraining) miles with you.

PS The security word for me to type for this comment is "pilybeer".

Christine

Amy said...

You are so funny! And honest. :) I love it. Funny, because sometimes when I'm hating running I think about you, I think about you complaining about your "slog" and it makes me chuckle and pick it up a little. Knowing I'm not the only one struggling with this helps so much!
You're an awesome pillar of support for everyone you know, including me. So please let ME know if there's anything I can do to support YOU!!
My security word is not as cool as Christine's. Mine is "sorpe". Boo.